Side extensions

What is party wall consent and do I need it for my extension?

By March 6, 2013 No Comments

A ‘party wall’ is shared between two houses. Usually when an extension is built it will involve some work on a party or shared wall.  The Party Wall Act 1996 requires that any affected neighbours are notified and their permission for the work is gained.

We can help draft suitable letters and even approach neighbours on your behalf.  This process is usually fairly straightforward, although ideally it should be started a couple of months before you intend to start work, especially in the case of absentee landlords.