London house refurbishmentsSide extensions

Will a Structural Engineer be needed for a side extension?

By March 6, 2013 No Comments

When you build a side extension you will usually need to knock through a load bearing wall, or remove structural elements of a building. A Structural Engineer’s calculations are needed to ensure that the RSJs (steel beams) used in the new side extension meet with Building Regulations requirements.

When building most extensions a structural steel beam, or more often, several of them, are needed to support the original building. Using a structural steel beam can also  improve the extension in several ways including:

  • Increasing the area of the extension
  • Allowing the removal of any pillars, piers or other obstructions from the new extension
  • Allowing for large and longer windows to be installed in the extension


We will be able to advise you if you need an engineer and recommend a suitable engineer for your extension if needed.